Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I hearby solemnly swear..

This morning I finished JASMM (see below) and graduated with honors :) Seriously, there was no graduation, but there was a test and I passed, so I find that honorable. Some of the days were a bit ridiculous as we would muster at 0800, then dismissed around 1100 and come back (maybe) at 1300 to be dismissed again no later than 1500. The course used to be 10 days, but they have shortened it to 8, and I think it could be shortened to 5 in all honesty. The difficulty is that for a person like me who has no previous experience in aviation there is a LOT of information to take in. Some of the more seasoned veterans were a little more bored, and I think they may have learned some things, but they were just happy to be away from work for the most part.

Came back here around 1030 and now I'm officially on the job full time, and working as the Suppo for the squadron. I'm still trying to sort out exactly where I fit in this organization. I'm not a DEPT Head right now, or so some people tell me, but there is a supply department, and I'm the officer for it... so who knows.

Today was a very interesting day as I was the re-enlisting officer for a 1st Class Petty Officer - which was a very rewarding experience and I hope I get to do it again. Essentially I am the signing official that re-enlists this individual, and I'm proud of that. I didn't do the best job as there is a 'repeat after me' section, and I kind of made him try and memorize a very long sentence... that was my whoops. He did an impressive job though and covered my butt as he managed to repeat it almost word for word afterwards - I was impressed!

The heat wave seems to be slowing down a bit as it just reached 88 out today, which was about a 15 degree drop from yesterday. I never thought that I would find 88 comfortable but after the last 4 days here I do. Of course complaining about heat in Virginia when my friends in Baghdad and HOA are consistently above 105 every day seems a bit ridiculous.

This weekend Jen comes down on Friday, and we've got sailing lessons planned for all three days. Jen has already taken some of these lessons in the past, so she'll kick my butt as usual while we try to learn this.

If I don't post before the weekend, to all the father's out there who can't be home with their children because they are serving over seas - thank you!

No comments: